Zoysia grass Seed is a turfgrass that is used to grow in southern regions of the United States. This grass is also grown into the transition zones and is native to Asia. Transition zones are those where both cool and warm-season grass grows. The turfgrass grows into dense and low-growing turf. This turfgrass has normal leaf growth but has slow lateral growth. It has 2 types of leaf blade textures that are fine as well as coarse-bladed. It is difficult to mow zoysia grass because of its leaf blade stiffness. The mower blade should be sharpened regularly throughout the season.
- Scientific Name: Zoysia japonica
- Botanical Name: Zoysia spp
- Common Name: Turf Grass
- Mature size: 6 to 12 inches
- Type of Plant: Perennial grass
- pH of Soil: Slightly acidic i-e; 6 to 6.5
- Type of soil: Average soil with good drainage
- Sub-Species of Zoysia family: Zoysia Macrantha, Zoysia Japonica, Zoysia Matrella
This grass is very well-known for its ability to withstand heat or high temperature, drought, and a variety of challenges. Zoysia Grass delivers a very beautiful lawn and a denser lawn with very little input. In a state like California, it is very difficult to maintain zoysia grass by producing a calendar to manage the grass on yearly basis. It is very important to keep on monitoring the temperature on year’s climate. You should monitor the temperature during the late winter or early spring season. In late winter or early spring, the turfgrass comes out of dormancy.
Characteristics of Zoysia Grass:
- It is warm-season grass.
- It has an improved cold tolerance.
- It can withstand heat or high temperatures.
- It can tolerate drought as well as other kinds of tough challenges.
- It has low maintenance and water requirements.
- It stays light to medium green in color.
- It develops a deep rooting system and is considered very efficient at conversing the moisture.
- The grass spreads by stolon and rhizomes.
- In challenging conditions like drought and heat, it becomes dormant.
- This grass greens up faster when watered again.
- It prefers to grow in full sun, but can also tolerate slight shades.
- Zoysia Grass becomes brown when winter dormancy sets in.
Seeding Tips for Zoysia Grass
Here are some of the seeding tips and facts regarding zoysia grass.
- You have to water the soil immediately before as well as after the seeding. It will hasten the germination process. The temperature of soil above 70 degrees is desirable. You can also premix the seeds with sand. Seeds can also be premixed with a finely grounded/powdered starter fertilizer. If you are using fertilizer, you will have to apply the mix immediately. Doing this will prevent any type of damage to the seed.
- The faster establishment can be achieved by higher rates of seeds per 1000 square feet. Less than 2lbs per 1000 square feet is not recommended in this case. Under normal conditions, zoysia is slowly established.
- Spread half of the seeds in one direction and another half of the seeds in an opposite direction to that. Plant the seeds from ¼ – ½ inches deep and rake very slightly. With the help of a roller, roll the area after planting the seeds. The seed, as well as soil, should be in firm contact with each other so that they germinate properly.
Water the zoysia as much as you can. Do not plant zoysia if you can not water it on daily basis. Keep the surface moist by watering it 2 – 3 times daily. Reduce the frequency of watering to keep the moisture within one inch of the surface. Zoysia needs only a minimum amount of nitrogen during its growing season. It has the capability of maintaining a better and charming color during winters if it is fertilized during fall. It has slow-vertical growth. It can be planted from seeds, sod, or plugs. The grass becomes dormant and brown till the spring season.
Zenith Zoysia Grass Seed (2lb) is a 100 percent pure seed that is grown by Patten Seed Company. It is a new type of Zoysia Grass that is similar to Meyer in appearance. It has a blade that is similar in width to centipedes as well as many bluegrasses. If the frost has passed and the temperature has risen to or more than sixty degrees, then it is the ideal time when you can plant Zenith seeds. It is not a natural seed. It is synthesized from 3 selected parent clones.
Zenith seeds can make your lawn even greener and denser than before that can tolerate drought. It helps to grow zoysia which is tolerant to extreme temperatures. In warm and well-drained soil, zenith seeds will start sprouting within 14 to 21 days.
Commercial uses of Zenith Zoysia Grass Seeds:
It is commercially used in different places and areas such as
- Sport fields
- Golf courses
- Residential landscapes
- Home lawns and yards
It is well adapted in the southern coasts of the United States to upper zones.
Features of Zenith Zoysia:
Medium textured and dense grass grows from Zenith Zoysia seeds. The grass is dark green and is shade tolerant. This drought-tolerant turfgrass is the best replacement for Tall Fescue.
When to seed zenith zoysia seeds:
Zenith seeds should be sown in the middle of the spring season. It should be planted a minimum of sixty days before the first frost in fall. If you plant Zenith Zoysia seeds too late, then it may not get enough time to become hardy, even it germinates, and survive winters and challenging conditions of fall.
How to plant Zenith Zoysia?
- Run a test for soil to determine if the lime is needed to raise the pH. Check the soil if fertilizers are needed. You will have to add the nutrients into the soil depending on the test. Tilt the recommended amount of absent nutrients.
- When the pH of the soil is balanced, it’s time to make the surface smooth or level it. You can use a rake to break the large soil chunks. Then use a soft rake to create a loose as well as a fine seedbed.
- Kill the existing grass if you are planting Zenith Zoysia in an old lawn.
- Dead grass should be scraped up. Remove debris, sticks, and stone if any.
- Rake to loosen the soil creating a good seedbed.
- Rake and make the soil smooth in the planting area.
- Add lime to produce a pH of 5.8 to 6.5.
- Now apply at least 10lb balanced lawn fertilizer. When the fertilizer is tilted into the soil, all type of grasses grows and perform very well.
- Distribute the Zenith Zoysia seeds using a cyclone type seeder, from east to west and then north to south.
- Rake slightly to make sure that the soil and seeds are in firm contact with each other. But instead of raking, you can also use an organic mulch on the top of seedlings.
- Roll smoothly by using a roller.
- Water the Zenith Zoysia seeds well and immediately after planting.
- Continue to water Zenith Zoysia as much as needed to keep the soil moist. Do not overwater the seeds. You will have to water the seeds three to four times a day.
- Herbicides can be used to control unwanted weeds.
- Zenith Zoysia should be mowed at 1.5 inches cut – height. Denser growing habit will result in reducing the presence of weeds.
Growing Zenith Zoysia in an older lawn:
If you want to grow zenith zoysia in an older lawn, the lawn must be sprayed with roundup. Prepare a new seedbed and plant the seeds. Remove Bermuda grass completely and beware of it because it can grow even faster as compared to Zenith Zoysia. But growing zoysia in an older lawn has a higher rate of failure.
Caring and maintenance:
This grass is often used to grow in public parks, golf courses, yards, and lawns. In the early summer season, a core aeration of zoysia grass will help to keep it forming a dense cover. It prevents the fertilizer as well as water from penetrating the soil. Turfgrass needs full sun and can tolerate slight shades too. To maintain a lush and dense carpet in your yard or lawn, you should take care of it in a better way. The grass becomes thin and allows the weeds to grow as the shade increases. It can tolerate a variety of soil types. Acidic soils do not cause any problem to the grass. Well-drained soil helps to create a deep rooting system. It also helps turf grass to enhance drought tolerance. If the soil is compacted, adjust the irrigation in an appropriate way to the dry side. It grows best on an inch of water. Water the Zoysia Grass deeply to encourage a deep rooting system. If you water the grass early in the morning, it will be very helpful in preventing diseases related to fungus.
- It is a warm-weather grass, giving a lush display to the garden or home lawn.
- It stops growing when the first frost hits
- It remains brownish and dormant during the winter season
- It can tolerate humidity
Do not use pre-emergent weed control for at least 90 days before planting Zenith Zoysia seeds. Using such chemicals will result in inhibition of the germination process and kill the zenith seedlings as they start sprouting. A non-selective weed killer is safe to use and can be used to kill pre-existing vegetation during the preparation of seedbeds.
Pests or Diseases:
Turfgrass or Zoysia grass is rarely bothered by pests. Different beetles feed on Zoysia in roots during early summer. Grubs do not cause any type of noticeable damage to the grass. But in case of a large outbreak, you should treat it using a preventive pesticide. Some of the rust can occur in winter. Other diseases related to leaves may show up in hot and humid weather conditions. Zenith zoysia usually recovers if the rate of water and fertilization is decreased. Mole crickets cause very little damage to the grass.
It is necessary to remove accumulated thatch from the lawn and is accomplished before the grass turns green.
Zenith Zoysia Grass is a very fascinating and beautiful grass that grows in lawns, yards, gardens, golf courses, and many other commercial places. It can tolerate many drastic challenges and weather conditions. It grows in full sun. Zenith Zoysia seeds are synthesized from three different parent clones. It grows slowly and is dark greenish. Try to follow all the steps to grow zenith zoysia seeds efficiently. Keep your lawn neat and clean for a beautiful display. Fertilize the grass correctly to encourage vigor growth. Frequent watering encourages the shallow system of roots to grow. If you don’t have enough time to take care of your lawn where zoysia is growing, then do not think of planting it.